Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Post For My Dad and Mom

If you've ever been in my parent's home chances are you've probably seen my dad leaning over a garbage can sanding. He is the king of wood projects. He's supplied the whole Relief Society with cut and sanded wood for "homemaking" meetings...for years. The women in our family have also utilized his skills and woodworking shop. If he had a nickel for every frame he made, he would be one rich muchacho. He's very talented. I used to think that I would marry a woodworker. I thought it was in men's blood. I was shocked when Matt didn't really have an interest in making furniture. So I've decided to make it my calling. I decided that I might have a little bit of my dad's woodworking DNA in mine. Anyway, here's what we've been up to.

A cute little farmhouse bed for Avery's AGD

Avery helped me assemble it. She also woodfilled, sanded, primed, and painted it.

This picture is for my mom. I'm sure she thought that those painful days of 4H sewing projects would never end, but they did, and I can sew. (Note: I need someone to have a real baby, so I can make this blanket in full size. I love it.) Avery (very meticulously) sewed the mattress and pillows. She did a great job!

Here's a bed I made for Macy. This was my first project and holy cow, I learned a lot. First being...make sure the Home Depot guy supplies you with the correct wood.

I also DIY'ed the duvet from Target sheets. I plan on making pillows...maybe I'll take advantage of Avery's newly acquired skills and have her whip them out for me.

It is FAR from perfect, but I'm glad it's done.
A big thanks to Matt for letting me live the dream. He didn't once question the credit card bill for my many trips to Home Depot, he was my human clamp when I needed an extra hand, he donated an air compressor from work, and he was master of the nail gun.

7 comments:

Joni Hansen said...

Holy Cow!!!! Absolutely beautiful!!! You and Avery should be very proud! Miss you guys!!! :)

Adam and Debbie said...

I love that blanket! OH, I hope we get a baby soon so you can make me one! Maybe I'll try my hand at woodworking, it looks fun (and we all know those Hansen boys aren't so handy sometimes...)!

Danielle said...

That's amazing! Chris and I just stared at the pics for the longest time with our jaws dropped!

Linda Oxborrow said...

Amazing... that is very impressive Keri... you really made the bed... maybe you should give a tutorial...

Morkthefied said...

And don't forget the wooden cow your dad made for our science project on cows. (I actually learned a lot from that little project.) That is really awesome, Keri! I always loved the little wood things you (and your dad) made me. I still have a lot of them.

katrina said...

Nice work! I want to see these in person!

Larissa said...

Very nice, Keri! John actually made a Am. Girl farmhouse bed like that - but the bigger projects are a little intimidating!
And that's awesome that you did it yourself! What are you going to make next?
I love Macy's bed. And I love the doll bedding! Such a cute quilt, and the pillows turned out great!