Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Koolaid is not Kool

Today, my girls and I were making taffy to celebrate pioneer day (a few days late, I know). I had all of my ingredients out, just like a professional chef, when I see that Brinley is checking out the koolaid packet. I know that my insticts should have told me to smile at her and subtley move it to an unreachable location, but they didn't. Instead, my mom alarm went off about 10 minutes later when I noticed that the koolaid and Brinley are AWL. I run praying that she hadn't ripped it open on the carpet. I find her in her bathroom with a fuming red mouth, hands, and dress. She was trying to clean off the mess to conceal the evidence but the more water she used, the redder she became. I was thankful that she was in the bathroom but the package of drinkable fun was still missing. I do a quick scan of the area and found it on my bathroom floor. Yeah! I can sweep and mop it...easy, peasy. Not easy, peasy. The more I tried to clean it, the redder my bathroom tile became. I used about 50 wipes to get the tile clean but the grout was still redder than red. I started having visions of me being 80 years old still looking at that hideous tile grout. Then I had a revelation...clorox bleach sticks. I love those things. I wasn't convinced that they'd work but within two minutes, my grout was back to normal and my bathroom was saved!

Now, I was very thankful that it did not end up on my carpet, but this brings me to another story, involving Brinley. A few weeks ago before church, she came up to me with bright red fingernails that she had obviously done herself. I sent the troops looking for the location, and we discovered that she had painted her nails behind a chair in our basement and left some evidence on our new beige-ie carpet. I was sick. Are we going to be one of those families that trashes everything nice in sight? Can't we have anything nice? Thank goodness for google. After a minute of research, I learned that baking soda works well on removing fingernail polish. And it did. Put that one down in your mental filing cabinet.

Now, I'm going to turn my up my alarm and remember that Brinley is obviously a lot more mischevious than all of my other girls combined. It's time to hide everything red and stainable and keep her in my sight.

1 comment:

Adam and Debbie said...

You were so lucky! I think we've decided not to replace our carpet until all our kids are atleast potty trained. Or maybe 10 is good. Too bad you didn't get a picture of mischevious little Brinley. Maybe next time!